Saturday, April 7, 2012

Bad mood

For the first time I am realizing that my mood is not inevitable. I was feeling bad earlier but it cleared up. Now, doing a late homework assignment this evening and realizing that I am tired and will be inefficient soon if I don't go to sleep, I begin to feel bad again, because I am worried that I won't have time to do experiments tomorrow if I can't finish this assignment tonight. But I also realize that this feeling is transient, and not inevitable. I do not feel like I am failing at my work (at least, that is not at the forefront of my mind as it usually is). I have noticed the onset of the feeling, and I can fight it. I think that's progress. If I can just keep myself focused, I can get through this. Lamenting will only put me further behind in my work. I have known that all this time and it usually just makes me feel worse; unable to control my emotions. But now I have stepped back, and I am motivated not to give in to the bad feelings.

Edit: I'm not finished w/ the assignment not because I am unable to understand the material, but because I have been avoiding working on it all day. I have been aware that I was avoiding it, but I only felt a little anxious about it. I think this was part of the tendency I have of avoiding stressful situations to keep myself calm. Usually when I think about that tendency, I see it as negative. I once left my friend while others jeered at him because I wanted to avoid a confrontation. He was not emotionally stable and ended up exploding. I wish I could have defended him better for his actions, or stopped the bullies in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment